Here’s a game of musical snowballs. No prizes – the quiz is simply for your amusement to help pass the time if you’re stuck waiting for a non-existent train or in an immobilised car, or are at home snowbound with a few idle minutes. Answers tomorrow.
1. Which composer’s music was once described as ‘a pink bonbon filled with snow?’ And which composer described it that way?
2. In which ballet score do we meet the Winter Fairy, and who wrote it?
3. To whose music is the ballet Les Patineurs set? If you want to be clever, you can add the name of the choreographer whose version is currently at Covent Garden.
4. Which composer wrote Der Schneemann? And how old was he at the time (the composer, not the snowman)?
5. What is the title of the January piece from Tchaikovsky’s The Seasons?
6. Which baritone is thought to have made the first-ever recording of Schubert’s Winterreise, and in what year?
7. Where will you find ‘Des pas sur la neige’?
8. Which British arts administrator is now general director of the Opéra National du Rhin in Strasbourg?
9. Name two Russian composers inspired by The Snow Maiden and one inspired by The Snow Queen.
10. What is Spring Torrents?