Fred Goes Into Detail
Women distinguish many a hue
Far beyond men's scope,
"Teal" it seems is vaguely blue,
A muddy shine is "taupe".
"Minutiae from which", we groan,
"There's little to be learned."
But Fred's not one to leave a stone,
However small, unturned.
Well yes, we say, the colour sense
Differs in him and her
So girls' minds aren't the same as men's?
Whoever thought they were!
Fred replies that what we've known's
Been attitudes to love
And shops and time and telephones
—All superficial stuff,
But now he feels he's found the key:
Whoever thought a girl'd
Be structured to not even see
The same objective world?
Yet Fred approves of Nature's plan,
(From which we can't escape):
Who'd want a woman like a man
Merely of different shape?
Fred and Fifi
Old Fred's imagination has
In its conceptual net
A honey whom he thinks of as
French maid, or can-can dancer at
Folies or Moulin Rouge,
She may best serve to indicate
A really not too huge
Array of varied images
In vision's repertoire,
Exotic with her flashing eyes
And her unfloating hair:
One of a princely harem? Well,
For accuracy's sake
Let's say, of the material
From which a lad can make
A sort of sensual symphony,
A meld of metaphors?
A blazon of humanity?
A condiment or sauce?...
When real girls come into play
The tactful little pet
Just waves her hand and trips away.
(Her perfume lingers yet.)
- The Rest Is Silence
- The Sacred And The Secular In Contemporary Art
- Regulating Markets In An Economy Without Angels
- Birth Mother
- Europe and the Nation State: Thoughts on Ortega y Gasset
- Seven New Poems
- Rediscovering Our Moral Purpose
- Our Strength And Stay
- Three Poems By Heinrich Heine
- Two Poems From Spain
- Why Only Countries Willing To Take Risks Will Survive And Prosper
- From The Berlin Wall To Brexit: Why Politics Needs A Free Press
- Saying Yes To Sara
- The Viagra Triangle
- Two Languages And The Chasm Between Them
- Western Civilisation In Crisis
- The Man On Whom Everything Was Lost
- The Long Shadow Of Malthus
- Beyond Obama: Advice To The Next President