Why is nobody composing great music? Because we have neglected its true source.
Michael Bloch's deft biography turns Jeremy Thorpe's life into a page-turning narrative
A new exhibition tries to resurrect the reputation of Sir Joshua Reynolds
Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall, superbly adapted for television, is brilliant because it defies easy definition
A superb new film vividly portrays the use and abuse of scripture by slavers to justify their evil acts
Despite its intractable subject matter, The Hard Problem is an elegant and ingenious work
Nervousness surrounds the search by the world's most admired orchestra for a new chief conductor
Standpoint's arts and culture section
- Master of the Glories of the English Country Garden
- It's Crunch Time for Britain in Europe
- The First Modern Art Movement
- Put British Jihadis on Trial in British Courts
- Seeing Red
- Something Wonderful...
- A Lawful Killing?
- Gender Agenda
- A reduction of reality at the Guardian?
- Congdon's Law
- At Last: Gove Goes For the Culture of Excuses
- Au Revoir Les Clercs
- Among the Saints: An Essay in Hagiography
- Truth, Freedom and Fear
- Is Bach The Voice Of God In Music?
- Moscow: Putin's Empire Strikes Out
- Overrated: Hassan Rouhani
- Bradshaw and the BBC
Popular Standpoint topics