Hugh Gordon Porteus was a minor but engaging figure in London’s pre-war bohemia
Hillbilly Elegy, J.D. Vance's memoir of his Appalachian upbringing, is required reading for understanding why Americans rejected Hillary
An exhibition of Australian Impressionism demonstrates the movement’s global reach
The America of Bill Buckley and Victor Navasky is gone. Elitist journalism is marginalised
A superb new film vividly portrays the use and abuse of scripture by slavers to justify their evil acts
Harriet Walter as Prospero and Glenda Jackson as Lear redress Shakespeare’s gender imbalance
The French composer failed to understand the marvel of music — that notes can convey meaning
Standpoint's arts and culture section
- Overrated: Martin Luther
- What is the Good of Establishment?
- Mr Weston's Good Wine
- We are all Neocons Now
- ONLINE ONLY: Ferguson's Fact of Nature
- Does the Sun's Switch in Support Matter?
- Real Men Don't Use Brylcreem
- Insider War Trading
- A Mania For Nymphs
- Israel's Impish Ice-Breaker
- The Flawed Logic Of Our Abortion Laws
- ONLINE ONLY: Will Shale Gas Save the British Economy?
- Israel Left Behind
- Underrated: Owen Paterson
- A Blind Eye to Stalin
- Blind Ambition
- Salad Days and Egyptian Nights
- Yes, Of Course I was Wired Weird'
- Les Pions de Résistance
- Giant Of The Valleys
Popular Standpoint topics