The new transatlantic buzzword is actually a very old one — ancient Greek, in fact. Thumos is defined by Robert Kagan as “a spiritedness and ferocity in defence of clan, tribe, city, or state”.
Like this article? Share, save or print using the icons below
- Corbyn's Trots
- He'll Always Have Paris
- Growth Of A New Han Dynasty
- Museo Dell'Opera Del Duomo, Florence
- What Do We Mean by 'Art'?
- Abetting Abusers
- Prescribed Reading
- Standpoint's September Issue Is Out Now
- ONLINE ONLY: Sarkozy's True Colours
- What Makes Her Tick?
- Lords and Ladies of Byzantium
- Poet of Eternal Summer
- Was Crucifixion a Jewish Penalty?
- Tough Tales For Dark Times
- Big Ben's Bacchanals
- Richard Goldstone
- Eliot Agonistes: Letters to and from the editor
- Ballet Lessons For the Orchestra
- Trumpet Voluntary
- Posthumous Wisdom
Popular Standpoint topics