Standpoint readers may be interested in the 25th annual World Traders' Tacitus Lecture, delivered by Terry Smith, Chief Executive of Tullett Prebon and regular Newsnight contributor. The talk, titled "Is 'Occupy' Right?" offers a nuanced view of the Occupy movement from an ardent free-marketeer:
Like Tacitus I am by training a historian. In his "Life of Agricola", Tacitus described "Londinium" as "a town of highest repute and a busy emporium for trade and traders", and it is with maintaining that very valuable status that I am concerned in my lecture tonight.
To those of you who know me, the title I have chosen for this lecture must have come as a shock. You may find it unlikely that I would sympathise with the Occupy movement. To declare my position at the outset, I am a supporter of the market economy, small government and I'm a climate change sceptic so I would not really be the obvious profile for this subject.
Even if it were not for those views, taken quite literally I could answer the question which my title poses by saying "How could you know?"
The Point is Standpoint's staff blog.
- Brexit Revolt – The first insider account of the EU referendum
- We need your help and support
- Standpoint Presenting Two Debates At HowTheLightGetsIn 2016
- The Compleat Corbyn — a round-up of Standpoint's Corbyn coverage this month
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under