Very, thanks. Been here, in glorious Lucerne, listening to the Cleveland Orchestra and a rather nice youth brass band. The latter must have been conducted by someone who was feeling nostalgic for circa 1979 since its repertoire included the Cornish Floral Dance and Bette Midler's The Rose. The former - well, look out for my review in the Independent. And please, someone, send Franz Welser-Most to a smile coach. But is there a more glorious hall in a more astonishing location, anywhere in the world? Yay for the KKL and the Lucerne Festival.
Moral of the weekend, though - check the festival programme before deciding on the time of flight home. While I was listening to the band, I could actually have been inside the KKL listening to Pollini - but I'd have had to slink out to catch my train, which would not have gone down very well with that audience.
Pollini is doing no fewer than 5 (FIVE) recitals at the RFH next season, however, so ample chances to catch the maestro in action then.
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- Brexit Revolt – The insider account of the EU referendum
- We need your help and support
- Standpoint Presenting Two Debates At HowTheLightGetsIn 2016
- The Compleat Corbyn — a round-up of Standpoint's Corbyn coverage this month
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under