Saddened to hear of the passing away, aged 77, of Andrew Raeburn, former artistic director of the Esther Honens Piano Competition in Calgary, Canada.
Andrew was much more besides that (I first met him in the early 1990s when he was running the Van Cliburn Competition). He and his late brother, Christopher Raeburn, were two of the most cultured, humane, canny, knowledgeable, Renaissance men in the music business and the classical globe is much the poorer without them.
Andrew's involvement in the arts over five decades spanned the management of orchestras, the production of nearly 100 classical recordings as music director of two record companies and the artistic direction of two international piano competitions. He was also a consultant to almost everything from dance companies to government funding agencies. All-round good guys like him - people who know the field, the repertoire and the nature of great artistry inside out - are few and far between in this industry today.
My wish is that Andrew and Christopher should be long remembered and held up as role models for us all.
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One