It's Korngold's birthday! He would have been 113. To celebrate, here's a bit of good old Viennese schwung: Korngold conducts Johann Strauss, an abridged version of the waltz Kunstlerleben (An Artist's Life) which he made for the film The Constant Nymph of 1942. Brendan Carroll has kindly extracted it so that we can have a snapshot of that vital side of Korngold's world. He tells us:
Erich Wolfgang Korngold was a renowned interpreter of the music of Johann Strauss II but (aside from one extremely rare 78rpm disc made in 1931) left no commercial recordings of his performances in this repertoire. I am delighted therefore to present this very rare recording, made in Hollywood in 1942...as part of a sequence to accompany a party scene in THE CONSTANT NYMPH. The rubato, phrasing and effervescent lilt of this short recording demonstrates why Korngold was such a star on the podium, when conducting Viennese operetta, as he did hundreds of times in the 1920s and 30s. Totally authentic. Enjoy!
Enjoy indeed. Please put on your dancing shoes...
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three