From the comfort of sofa & rug, post-op, the one thing you can do with ease is watch the TV, and I was lucky enough to stumble upon the final of the BBC Young Musician of the Year 2010 the other night. Brilliant and beautiful performance of Saint-Saens 2 from Lara Omeroglu, a 16-year-old poppet from the Purcell School, whose playing left me feeling glad to be alive. Read more about her here. A gift indeed - and I hope she stays as natural, unspoilt and gorgeously musical as she is today.
Would normally write a lot more about this, but brain is not yet in gear.
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One
- Breivik and Anti-Muslim Bigotry
- Who'd be a TLA?
- Daniel Johnson on Elena Bonner
- In praise of the essay
- Told You So
- Analysis: Al-Qaeda After Bin Laden