It's a fond farewell to Ole Schmidt, the Danish conductor who has died at the age of 81. He was one of the most colourful characters of his country, from the sound of it, and made waves in the UK by recording all the Nielsen symphonies with the LSO, as well as putting together an 800-strong performance of Havergal Brian's gargantuan Gothic Symphony back in 1980. Here's his obituary in the Daily Telegraph as written by Tim Bullamore, that doyen of this paradoxically dazzling format. Sample:
Schmidt was physically an enormous specimen of a man with a wildly swinging left-hand karate chop of a beat that at times struck terror into the hearts of his front-desk violins. Once, when a young English second violinist with the Aarhus Symphony Orchestra came in on the wrong note during rehearsals, Schmidt erupted in fury, hoisting the stool on which he had been perched into the air and lunging forward...
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- Recruiting at Policy Exchange - Sponsored Content
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four