Much saddened by the news that Philip Langridge, one of the finest British tenors of his day, has died aged 70.
I will never forget his Peter Grimes: the quality of great-heartedness and superb acting that went with his unusually beautiful and precise voice elevated the character to the standing of a true tragic hero. He also made a great impression in the leading role of Birtwistle's The Second Mrs Kong, in which his character was named 'The Idea of Kong' (not just King Kong, that is, but the concept of him... in case you missed it...it hasn't been revived for a while, though could do with it). He was loved and admired by everyone who came into contact with him. Here is his obituary from yesterday's Independent.
Please listen to him singing 'Comfort Ye' from Handel's Messiah and take a moment to remember him.
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- The Compleat Corbyn — a round-up of Standpoint's Corbyn coverage this month
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four