...but my final blogpost about him for BBC Radio 3 has only just gone up. Here it is: Farewell to Felixcitations!
Mendelssohn, of course, has dropped straight through the bottom of the barrel since the end of his anniversary year, while everyone screams about Chopin instead. Just wait until they get started in earnest on Mahler.Meanwhile I attended Maurizio Pollini's recital on Monday and my review should be appearing in The Independent later this week. I was also in eighth heaven after hearing the Dvorak Piano Quintet (no.2 if you want to be pedantic) played last night by the Emerson Quartet and Menahem Pressler, who sounds exactly as he always did in the Beaux Arts Trio's world domination days. What a wonderful, life-affirming musician he is! It was partly thanks to their classic recording of the D minor Trio that I came to love Mendelssohn so deeply. And the Emersons of course are prime masters of their art, wonderfully unified after so many years together.
To add thrill to—in some ways similar—thrill, I also went yesterday to interview one of the world's most remarkable women, who is 106 years old. More about that soon too.
I am heading West tomorrow, so blogging may be erratic until the middle of next week. I'll do some if I can work out the WiFi on the move. And on Saturday night, if I'm lucky, I may hear some Mendelssohn...
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One