I have a piece in today's Independent about the new classical series at the Roundhouse, 'Reverb', from 22 to 31 of this month, aimed at cool 20-somethings. The crux is: to stop patronising them and give them good music, well played in a relaxed and familiar atmosphere.
But somewhere in the cutting process we appear to have lost the bit about being able to take your drink into the auditorium. This little 'you-can't-do-that' detail of concert-going matters - it would make the atmosphere more relaxed and familiar, and actually most 'grown-up' concert-goers would like it too.
I don't think any of us really enjoy being effectively strapped into the centre of a row unable to move one milimetre for an hour. It would be ever so easy to implement a you-can-drink policy, since most venues - eg Barbican or RFH - are equipped for it and allow it in other types of event. It's only classical concerts where you can't. And, as we know, young Brits like to drink...
That would help, plus better lighting, and a few words from performers to audience before the music starts. It's not the music that keeps youngsters away, the OAE told me, it's the way it's presented. We'll see if the Roundhouse has cracked it, but wouldn't it be funny if it turned out it really is that easy after all?
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three