I just spent an hour writing a terrifically clever and witty post about exactly how naff Pop Star to Opera Star was last night, how Bocelli must have got out while the going was good, how it was a desperately British presentation in which F-list "celebrities" were celebrated for not being able to do something, and in which not a note of genuine enthusiasm was to be detected among any of the contestants, judges or presenters. ITV ought to be ashamed of themselves for backing such utter, total, nauseating, toe-curlingly embarrassing naffness. Then I hit the wrong button and lost the lot, which is probably just as well. Suffice it to say: for heaven's sake preserve your sanity by switching off and doing the washing-up instead. That at least is productive.
But if you want to hear a popular opera aria well sung, here you go: 'Nessun Dorma' sung in the middle of Puccini's Turandot by the great Franco Corelli. A fitting antidote, I hope.
[Update, 21 Jan: EMI has just assured me that it's nothing to do with them. They just have a few Villazon discs. Apologies for any confusion.]
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One