Here are the answers to yesterday's Musical Snowballs quiz, as promised. And, appropriate, the snow has melted (at least where I am).
1. Which composer's music was once described as 'a pink bonbon filled with snow?' And which composer described it that way? Grieg's music. Culprit: Debussy.
2. In which ballet score do we meet the Winter Fairy, and who wrote it? Cinderella, by Prokofiev
3. To whose music is the ballet Les Patineurs set? If you want to be clever, you can add the name of the choreographer whose version is currently at Covent Garden. Music by Meyerbeer. Choreography by Frederick Ashton.
4. Which composer wrote Der Schneemann? And how old was he at the time (the composer, not the snowman)? Composer: Erich Wolfgang Korngold. Age: 11.
5. What is the title of the January piece from Tchaikovsky's The Seasons? 'At the Fireside'.
6. Which baritone is thought to have made the first-ever recording of Schubert's Winterreise, and in what year? Hans Duhan (baritone) with Ferdinand Foll & Lene Orthmann (pianists). 1928.
7. Where will you find ‘Des pas sur la neige'? In Debussy's Preludes for piano, book 1, in which it is no.6.
8. Which British arts administrator is now general director of the Opéra National du Rhin in Strasbourg? Nicholas Snowman.
9. Name two Russian composers inspired by The Snow Maiden and one inspired by The Snow Queen. Snow Maiden: Tchaikovsky (incidental music), Rimsky-Korsakov (opera); Snow Queen: Prokofiev.
10. What is Spring Torrents? A song by Rachmaninov, his Op.14 no. 11, with text by Feodor Tyutchyev.
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- Recruiting at Policy Exchange - Sponsored Content
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four