I hold occasional one-day workshops entitled KICK-START YOUR WRITING. If you've always wanted to write, but there's always a reason not to, this total-immersion day could be for you. In a small, supportive group setting, we find ways into writing through discussions, a variety of exercises and some guidelines on story structure, characters etc. Plenty of coffee, biscuits and lunch make the day go with a swing and while the focus is principally on fiction, the issue of setting words to paper/screen applies to other genres too. I'm glad to say that one of my former "students" found himself so thoroughly kick-started that he's now blogging for the Telegraph.
There are more details on my website, where you can download a PDF. Next course is on SUNDAY 31 JANUARY and a few places remain.
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One
- Breivik and Anti-Muslim Bigotry