BY ALEXANDER MELEAGROU-HITCHENS¬†
In 'The God Delusion', Richard Dawkins refers to the religious indoctrination of children as a form of abuse: it¬†petrifies¬†them with stories of hell and damnation,¬†while simultaneously¬†stunting their capacity for independent thought and reason.¬†¬†Haringey Council - no strangers¬†to the failure of providing proper care to¬†local children¬†-¬†is clearly not a fan¬†of this idea: on Friday it gave its backing to a school run by religious extremists Hizb ut-Tahrir (HT).
The Press Association has¬†reported that Haringey Council has resumed its funding of the Islamic Shakhsiyah Foundation (ISF) - an¬†educational charity with links to¬†(HT)¬†-¬†after its investigators reported that they had found no evidence of 'inappropriate influence' at a school run by the ISF.
A report by the Centre for Social Cohesion (CSC)¬†first revealed that the ISF was receiving government money despite its clear links with a revolutionary Islamist cult.¬† This was taken up by the Conservative Party and David Cameron made it the main focus of Prime Minister's Questions in late November.¬† Labour, and Schools Secretary Ed Balls in particular, have since stuck their heads in the sand and refused to acknowledge any problem with funding the indoctrination of young children by a group that wish to overthrow secular society (of course, as Nick Cohen wrote last month, Labour are not exactly big fans of secularism either any more).
The first question that should be asked of the Haringey investigators¬†is if they have seen the ISF curriculum that was being taught to children in 2005, the year that the school were approved by OFSTED.¬† The CSC have now released details of this curriculum, which we have in our possession.¬† Of particualar interest is the curriculum's section on jihad, where 9 and 10 year olds are taught that violent jihad is a legitimate form of worship:
- Da'wa [proselytising] and jihad fisabeelillah [fighting in the path of Allah] are also Ibadah [worship]
- The Ahkaam [rules] of Da'wa
- The Ahkaam and limits of jihad as taught by the classical scholars. (It is important to clearly define the situations in which jihad is permitted and those where it is not.
- Muslims are accountable if they do not follow these rules
Also here is how the curriculum advises teachers on how to approach that oh so blasphemous¬†subject of democracy:
- Islam is a Deen [faith], contrast briefly to other belief systems where human beings make rules
- Briefly introduce the concept of democracy
- Our rules and laws come from Allah (swt)
The very existance of sectarian faith schools in the UK - which often teach children who have been given no choice about their attendance - is bad enough.¬† The ISF schools take it a step further, teaching children to effectively seperate from kufr (non Muslim) society and support the violent acts of jihadists in 'Muslim countries'.
In the case of 'Baby P', Haringey Council¬†were unable to identify blatant physical torture that lead to the death of a toddler.¬† Now they have¬†similarly¬†failed¬†to stop¬†the destruction of young minds, instead¬†allowing a religious cult to turn British children against their own society.
Focus on Islamism is a blog dedicated to¬†analysing and exposing the modern ideological phenomenon known as Islamism.
Shiraz Maher is a writer and¬†broadcaster.
Alexander Meleagrou-Hitchens is a¬†PhD student at King's College, London.¬† He has contributed to various online and printed publications including, The Daily Telegraph, Lebanon's Daily Star, Standpoint and NOWLebanon.¬†
To contact the authors, click here
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed ‚ÄĒ Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One