Clive Davis, at his recently rehomed blog which is now called Clive Davis' Confab, has posted a clip of Glenn Gould playing Bach, along with the remark that this particular piece has a pernicious effect on his mentality while driving.
You think speedy Bach is dangerous? Just try Wagner. I remember bowling happily down the M3 once upon a time, only to hear Brunnhilde's Immolation Scene starting up on the radio. Ten minutes or so later I found I was doing nearly 100...and as I used to be the sort of driver to whom mum wouldn't even need to say "don't go in the fast lane, dear," this was kind of extreme.
We got rid of our car over a year ago. At least you can then put on your choice of iPod treat and not have to worry. You also develop the satisfying sense of a green-tinted halo above your head, and save an absolute fortune on road tax, insurance and repairs. We haven't missed the old banger for a moment. At least not until yesterday, when we spent a very chilly 40 minutes on Macclesfield station waiting for a train that had been delayed at Stockport by a woman who, discovering she had left her bag of sarnies on the platform, had pulled the emergency cord to stop the train from leaving while she retrieved them...
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- Brexit Revolt – The first insider account of the EU referendum
- We need your help and support
- Standpoint Presenting Two Debates At HowTheLightGetsIn 2016
- The Compleat Corbyn — a round-up of Standpoint's Corbyn coverage this month
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under