The hospital trust seeking permission to withdraw medical treatment that is keeping a one-year old child alive explained its reasoning today.
As I reported yesterday, the boy -- who may be identified only as RB -- was born with a rare neuromuscular condition and has never been able to breathe for more than a few minutes without a ventilator.
Michael Mylonas, counsel for the trust, told Mr Justice McFarlane that RB's condition was not thought to affect his brain function.
The court might be told that this should weigh in favour of maintaining his life.
But, said counsel, it would make RB's condition all the more unbearable as he glimpsed what others could do.
The trust was seeking permission to withdraw the baby's life-support "to allow him a peaceful, calm and dignified death", Mr Mylonas said.
Even with a tracheostomy, RB's quality of life was such that he he would continue to lead a "miserable, sad and pitiful existence".
The hearing is likely to conclude next week.
Joshua Rozenberg is an independent legal commentator who presents Law in Action on BBC Radio 4.
- The Compleat Corbyn — a round-up of Standpoint's Corbyn coverage this month
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four