...for Dilettante Music's digital composer-in-residence competition. This enterprising music startup site isn't as dilettantish as all that - in fact they seem jolly professional, with the chief aim of providing strong support and digitally-based opportunities for young musicians. Their competition for a year-long digital residency for an up-and-coming composer has attracted around 200 entries from all over the world and it will culminate in a concert by no less a force than the London Sinfonietta on 5 November at Wilton's Music Hall, when the three finalist's pieces will be heard alongside music they feel has influenced them, including works by Ligeti and Ives.
Meanwhile we are all invited to vote for our favourite among the last three. The finalists are Aaron Gervais, Chiayu and David T. Little. Listen to them all and cast your vote here, before 4 November. More about the competition from one of the judges, very soon.
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three