Fantastic line-up of prizewinners for the Classic FM Gramophone Awards, which were presented yesterday. Record of the Year went to the brilliant Ebene Quartet for their recording of the solitary string quartets by Debussy, Ravel and Faure. It also won a prize from the event's main competitor, the BBC Music Magazine Awards. And yes, it deserves every ounce of it.
Here's a promotional video about the disc, which I think I ran once before on my Blogger site, but it's so lovely I wanted to run it again!
There's also a hugely deserved Music in the Community Award for Streetwise Opera; The Sixteen are Artist(s) of the Year; Yuja Wang is Young Artist of the Year, and so she should be. Oh, and they gave a Lifetime Achievement Award to Nikolaus Harnoncourt ('scuse me while I dig up some wild garlic...I will suggest a fine alternative at the rather more virtual JDCMB Ginger Stripe Awards at the end of the year). In short, nice prizes for many, not forgetting the lovely Gerald Finlay and dazzling Steven Osborne. Full list of winners here.
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three