I'm supposed to be writing CD reviews today, but the CDs in question are stuck in the post strike backlog. So are at least three pay cheques. So was my "urgent" blood test last week (btw, if people die because their tests, results and appointment letters are snarled up in the strike, can their relatives sue Royal Mail? Someone should think about that...).
Therefore we have to improvise a little. So, by way of improvisation, here is an introduction to my friend Sebastian Scotney, founder of the superb LondonJazz blog. If I can be permittted a little quasi-maternal pride over a former investment analyst, Sebastian came along to one of my workshops called 'Kick-Start Your Writing' and launched his blog in response. Now he tells me that he was so thoroughly kick-started that he's been invited to blog on jazz for the Telegraph. Here's his review of this weekend's Worshipful Company of Musicians' Young Jazz Musician Competition at Ronnie Scott's.
And, unrelated, pianophiles should start queuing now outside the Wigmore Hall for Imogen Cooper's birthday recital tonight. The doyenne of British pianists is turning 60 (I can't believe this! I still think of her as about 36) and will be performing a completely gorgeous programme of German romantic music - Mendelssohn, Schubert, and Mr and Mrs Schumann - with some favourite colleagues: baritone Wolfgang Holzmair, tenor Mark Padmore, cellist Sonia Wieder-Atherton and pianist Paul Lewis. Look out for her next Schubert album, out on the Avie label in late October.
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One