The Guardian has revealed the true cost of the allegedly advertiser-subsidised local propaganda sheets which flop through the letterbox along with endless flyers for pizzas and takeaway meals.Something called East London Life actually costs the council tax payers of Tower Hamlets around £400,000 a year, a truly outrageous sum for what amounts to a a local Labour propaganda sheet in one of the poorest boroughs in London. That's apparently 25p per household.
Here in Lambeth we get something called Lambeth Life. Its full of grim tidings about gun and knife crime or police measures against crack dens and vicious dogs, with a few jolly multi-culti food or music happenings to reassure us that everything here is wonderful. Coverage of Mayor Johnson doing anything other than opening a playground is invariably grudging. No one asked me, or any of my fellow citizens, whether or not I wanted to subsidise a propaganda sheet issued by the Labour party. All councils already have websites, on which I can easily read what they are doing to waste my council tax already.
This is surely an area any Conservative government should tackle on Day One, as part of a more general eradication of the institutional imprint of New Labour.
Michael Burleigh is a member of the government's senior advisory group on commemorating the centennial of the First World War. His most recent book is Moral Combat (Harper Press, 2010).
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One
- Breivik and Anti-Muslim Bigotry
- Who'd be a TLA?
- Daniel Johnson on Elena Bonner
- In praise of the essay
- Told You So