Hildegard Behrens, one of the great Wagnerian sopranos of her day, passed away on Tuesday aged 72. Here is an obituary of her from The Times which recounts, among other things, the way her legal training startled managers who weren't expecting her to negotiate her own contracts, and a wonderful story about performing Marlene Dietrich songs with Leonard Bernstein.
She was my first Brunnhilde, sending me sky high at Covent Garden alongside Siegfried Jerusalem and Bernard Haitink. It was her very vulnerability that made her so appealing in the role, so human and so convincing with that warm and direct voice; not the largest of Wagnerian tones, perhaps, but one of the most beautiful. And I'll never forget the night we emerged from Siegfried, all ready for the Twilight of the Gods, to find a notice up at Charing Cross Station declaring MRS T HAS RESIGNED.
So, to bid her farewell, here she is in the Immolation Scene of Gotterdammerung from The Met, possibly in 1989 (though I'm afraid I don't know who is conducting - if anyone can fill in that blank, please do so!).
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One