Friday afternoon and time for some great music. Next Tuesday's Prom features one of my very favourite orchestras, the Budapest Festival Orchestra under its superconductor Ivan Fischer.
I've been engaging in some enthusiastic displacement activity today: on YouTube, in a great many chunks, you can find an entire documentary about this fabulous ensemble's first 25 years (their silver jubilee was last year).
Here is the first bit, showing excerpts from their very first concert, at the Franz Liszt Academy. I find it very slightly macabre that they kicked off with something Russian, but with playing like that perhaps they're just beating 'em at their own game.
The Prom, by the way, starts at 7pm. It is followed by a late-night performance by, um, the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain. Whatever floats your boat...
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- The Compleat Corbyn — a round-up of Standpoint's Corbyn coverage this month
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four