What a hero! Bramwell Tovey, terrific conductor and all-round musical Good Guy, came to the rescue at a Norwich wedding when the pianist was trapped in traffic. The Telegraph has the full story here.
If only all playing-at-weddings stories were so adorable... You want to do it because you're a Nice Person. Reality will include some or all of the following: icy winter churches/no heating/no warm-up, pianos eaten by mice and/or tuned to 1875 pitch, the expectation that if you play the piano you can therefore play the organ (wedding planners, please note: no) and the unshakeable certainty that you can sight-read perfectly, in front of an entire congregation on the most important day of your pal's life, a song you've never heard before by Benjamina And The Bananas.
Dear pianists, forget your dreams of Tchaikovsky concertos and Carnegie Hall. If you can deal with Benjamina And The Bananas, you are a real pro.
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- We need your help and support with our October issue
- Standpoint Presenting Two Debates At HowTheLightGetsIn 2016
- The Compleat Corbyn — a round-up of Standpoint's Corbyn coverage this month
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties