In spring 2008 BBC Radio 3 devoted an entire programe in 'Music Matters' to a mega-interview with JDCMB all-time hero Krystian Zimerman. I've just found the whole thing on YouTube. I can't urge you strongly enough to listen to it, even if you've heard it before. Every sentence is like a laser-beam that cuts to the quick regarding the nature of music and our attitudes towards it.
Tom Service asks the sterling questions and deals magnificently with the often startling and revelatory responses.
It's in five parts. I'll 'embed' part one, then give the YouTube links to the rest.
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GznevkSGktA
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4V4-4kuNeM
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is8-f82KSBU
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_NAPaJ-hXY
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One