Now, here is a video of Michael Jackson.
I never 'got it' with Jackson. Please use the comments box on this post to leave your tributes and tell me why he was such a genius? I'm ready to be convinced.
Meanwhile lots of commentators are going to write pretentious claptrap about him today, so I shall join in. Here goes.
I can't help feeling that the extraordinary thing about him was not so much his art as everything its popularity told us about our times - where health and happiness are bartered for excess profit, where image has stabbed substance through the heart, where consumers will swallow without question whatever our controllers shove down our numbed and flabby throats. Michael Jackson touched millions, probably billions, of people worldwide. The King of Pop, certainly - just as MacDonald's is the king of food? Could it be that the death of Jackson, coinciding with the credit crunch and this massive recession, represents the end of an era?
Here's an idea for paying tribute. We're not here forever. We've a few brief decades, at best, to sit on this poor old planet and do something. What are we doing with our lives? For a few minutes, stop moving, stop the noise, stop the anaesthetic, and think about it.
Jessica Duchen is a music journalist and the author of four novels, two biographies and several stage works. She writes regularly for The Independent and BBC Music Magazine. Her latest novel, Songs of Triumphant Love, is published by Hodder.
- Standpoint Presenting Two Debates At HowTheLightGetsIn 2016
- The Compleat Corbyn — a round-up of Standpoint's Corbyn coverage this month
- We Told You So
- Sir Raymond Carr in Standpoint
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson