BY ALEXANDER MELEAGROU-HITCHENS
Hello to all the readers of the new Standpoint blog.
This particular blog will focus on the issues surrounding Islamist activity both in the UK and abroad. Islamism, also known as political Islam, is not to be confused with Islam the religion. The former is a political ideology rooted in a literal and puritanical interpretation of the latter (specifically Saudi Arabia's Wahhabi-Salafi creed), usually devoted to creating a ‘perfect Islamic society' under sharia law.
It is the ideology of Islamism which is the primary root cause of jihadist terror, and the proponents and apologists of this ideology must be discredited and resisted in a liberal and just manner. This can be difficult, because those who dare to do so are often branded as ‘Islamophobes'.
I have a special interest in Islamist pressure groups, which seek to move the discourse on terrorism and radicalisation towards discussions of how liberal democracies can adapt themselves to Islamist ideals, and alter their policies in order to appease terrorism.
Through this blog, I hope to expose and analyse both how various Islamist groups operate and also the approach taken by the government in either supporting or opposing them. I will also cover in particular the two prototypical Islamist groups, the Jamaat e-Islami and the Muslim Brotherhood, and attempt to give readers a good grasp on why these groups are a threat and how they can be opposed.
Focus on Islamism is a blog dedicated to analysing and exposing the modern ideological phenomenon known as Islamism.
Shiraz Maher is a writer and broadcaster.
Alexander Meleagrou-Hitchens is a PhD student at King's College, London. He has contributed to various online and printed publications including, The Daily Telegraph, Lebanon's Daily Star, Standpoint and NOWLebanon.
To contact the authors, click here
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- The Cabinet meeting that kept Salman Rushdie alive
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed — Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One
- Breivik and Anti-Muslim Bigotry