The ceremony of beatification took place in the cathedral of Oradea on October 30, 2010, conducted by Cardinal Peter Erdő, Hungarian Archbishop of Esztergom, in association with Cardinal Angelo Amato, Prefect of the Vatican Congregation for the Causes of Saints.
How do I remember Szilárd Bogdánffy? I was 18 years old when we first met in September 1942 and we were in daily contact until May 1944. He was a good-looking and friendly young priest, but his behaviour was that of a strictly conventional Hungarian clergyman. He became my confessor and spiritual adviser during those two years and I confided to him my problems and received textbook solutions.
On one occasion, however, matters became more serious. To give it in context, I must sketch my life in the Szatmár seminary. Having passed the final examination in my gymnasium with the highest honours, I set out starry-eyed to start my "higher" education in philosophy and theology. I was deeply disappointed. Apart from Bogdánffy's non-academic talks on spirituality, I had to attend classes on scholastic philosophy and Christian apologetics, taught by the bursar, and a course on Church history delivered by the director of the seminary. The level of instruction was primitive. The lecturers read aloud from the textbooks, very occasionally adding a comment. They were bored and deadly boring.
- ONLINE ONLY: Overpopulation and the Reality of Grandchildren
- ONLINE ONLY: Sharia Threatens All Women, Muslim and Non-Muslim
- ONLINE ONLY: The Last Days of the Divvy
- A Party Overrun by Lads and Libertines
- The Myth of Cameron's Etonian 'Chumocracy'
- Here Lie the Remains of Tory Modernisation
- Forget 'Islamophobia'. Let's Tackle Islamism
- Neoconservatism: A Good Idea That Won't Go Away
- Have You Heard the One About Auschwitz?
- Cameron's Too Late To Tame the UKIP Tiger
- ONLINE ONLY: Thoughts from a Hospital Bed
- ONLINE ONLY: Academic Boycotts Teach Us Nothing
- ONLINE ONLY: Send in the Clowns
- ONLINE ONLY: Thatcher, Reagan and the Dictators
- The Resolute Courage of Margaret Thatcher
- America's New Isolationists Are Endangering the West
- An Alternative To Our Reckless Energy Gamble
- The Family is the Key to the Future of Faith
- Persecuted Muslims Who Love Life in England
- They Were the Future of the Tory Party, Once